Your nose is one of your most central and prominent facial features, and even slight alterations to its size and shape can significantly improve your appearance. Many men and women find that these adjustments to their nose help achieve better overall balance with other facial features, allowing them to look and feel their best.
If you would like to improve the appearance of your nose, you’re not alone. This is one of the most common aesthetic goals among Dr. Lee’s patients. As a board-certified plastic surgeon with over 15 years of experience performing rhinoplasty procedures for men and women in the Newport Beach area, Dr. Richard Lee is uniquely qualified to help you achieve your desired look. He understands the subtle differences that distinguish between a nose that looks more masculine or feminine, and he knows how to craft the appearance of your nose to highlight your other facial features.
You can learn about your nose surgery options and receive individualized treatment recommendations by speaking with Dr. Lee in person. Please call 949-548-9312 today to schedule a complimentary rhinoplasty consultation. We serve patients in Newport Beach, Irvine, Santa Ana and throughout Orange County, California.
What Can Rhinoplasty Address?
Rhinoplasty can help you address a variety of aesthetic concerns, including:
- A nose that is too small, too large or too wide
- An irregularly shaped nose
- A tip that is too large, small, wide or droopy
- A bent, crooked or unattractive bridge
- Nostrils that are too narrow or constricted
- Nostrils that are too wide
- Nostrils that are upturned or asymmetrical
- A broken nose
While the primary goal of most rhinoplasty patients is to achieve an improved appearance, Dr. Lee can also perform nose surgery to address breathing problems associated with a deviated septum. This procedure is typically referred to as a functional rhinoplasty.
Am I a Candidate for Nose Surgery?
If you would like to improve the appearance of your nose, you are most likely a good rhinoplasty candidate. However, it’s important to have realistic expectations for the outcome of your procedure. Your new nose will most likely not be able to look exactly like your favorite celebrity’s nose. Instead, your outcome will achieve subtle adjustments that bring out the best in your other facial features. You’ll still look like yourself, but you’ll most likely feel more attractive and confident.
In addition, good candidates for nose surgery:
- Are in good overall health
- Have a fully matured nose (approximately age 14 for girls and age 16 for boys)
- Do not smoke or are willing to quit prior to surgery and throughout the recovery period (smoking can adversely impact healing and your final outcome)
Your Customized Rhinoplasty Procedure
Dr. Lee understands that no two people have the same nose. In order to deliver a beautiful outcome, he will customize your procedure based on the following factors:
- Your desired nose appearance
- Your other facial features
- Any ethnic features that you would like preserved
- Any functional issues that must be addressed along with your aesthetic goals
Your nose surgery will be performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia. Depending on your unique needs and goals, Dr. Lee will use one of the following techniques:
- Open rhinoplasty – The incision is placed along the soft tissue between your nostrils
- Closed rhinoplasty – All incisions are placed inside the nostrils
Once the incision is made, Dr. Lee will reshape the cartilage, bone and soft tissue in order to achieve your desired appearance.
Please view our rhinoplasty before and after photos to see the results Dr. Lee has delivered for past patients.
Recovery after Nose Surgery
You’ll be able to return home shortly after your surgery is complete. Due to the lingering effects of the anesthesia, you will need to arrange for someone to drive you home. You should plan on getting plenty of rest that afternoon, and you’ll want to have someone around the house to assist you.
It’s common to experience swelling and bruising after nose surgery, but this will subside within about ten days. Dr. Lee will prescribe medication to help alleviate any discomfort, but you should avoid aspirin, NSAIDs and Vitamin E supplements for the first two weeks of your recovery.
You will have a plastic flexible splint inside and outside your nose for one week. You may also experience some bleeding and drainage from your nose after surgery. This will slowly stop, and you can change the gauze under your nose as needed.
Make sure to adhere to the following tips while you recover:
- Sleep on your back with your head elevated on two pillows for the first week after surgery
- Avoid alcohol or cigarette smoking for at least three weeks following surgery, but preferably longer if you can refrain
- Apply cold packs to your eyes to help with the swelling
- You can sponge bathe your body and face, but avoid soap and water around the nose, splint and packing
- Don’t allow glasses to rest on your nose for three weeks following surgery – instead, secure them by taping the bridge to your forehead
- Don’t wear contact lenses for the first week of your recovery
- Don’t blow your nose for two weeks, even if it feels stuffed up
- Keep your incision out of the sun for up to one year, and cover the incision with sunscreen to prevent the scar from becoming red, raised and irritated
During your first follow-up visit with Dr. Lee, he’ll advise you regarding when you can return to work. In general, you should be able to resume normal activity and exercise approximately three weeks after surgery. However, you should avoid contact sports and other activities that can result in a blow to the head until your nose is fully healed.
Contact our Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
Please contact Dr. Richard Lee using the form on this page or call 949-548-9312 today to schedule a free rhinoplasty consultation. We serve patients in Newport Beach, Irvine, Santa Ana and throughout Orange County, California.