Your body undergoes certain changes as you get older, and some of these will most likely impact the appearance of your breasts. Pregnancy, gravity, fluctuations in weight and the aging process can all affect your breasts, causing them to sag over time. Dr. Richard Lee can perform a breast lift to address these changes and restore a more youthful breast appearance.
Dr. Lee has more than 15 years of experience performing breast lift procedures for women in the Newport Beach area. He understands the ways in which your breasts change as you get older, and he will create a customized treatment plan that will address your aesthetic goals.
You can learn about your options by speaking with Dr. Lee in person. Please call 949-548-9312 today to schedule a free breast lift consultation. We serve patients in Newport Beach and throughout Orange County, California.
What Is a Breast Lift?
A breast lift is performed to restore a perkier, more youthful breast appearance. Dr. Lee often recommends a breast lift to address the following aesthetic concerns:
- Moderate to severe sagging issues
- Nipples that point downward
- Areolas that become stretched out
- Loose skin and stretch marks on the breasts caused by pregnancy and breastfeeding
During your procedure, the breast mound will be reshaped and the nipple will be repositioned to a higher location in order to address these issues. Many women find that their breast lift achieves dramatic results, helping them look and feel their very best. In addition to a more youthful breast appearance, you may find that your figure is more balanced, allowing you to look great in clothing and swimsuits.
Am I a Candidate for a Breast Lift?
In order to be considered a good breast lift candidate, you should:
- Be in good overall health
- Have realistic expectations for the outcome of your procedure
- Not smoke or be willing to quit before surgery and throughout the recovery period
Keep in mind that the primary objective of a breast lift is to correct sagging issues. If your primary concern is associated with the size and/or shape of your breasts, your goals may be more effectively achieved with breast augmentation. In some instances, Dr. Lee may combine breast augmentation with a lift for enhanced results.
Future pregnancy plans should also be considered when determining the right time for a breast lift. While your procedure won’t impact your ability to become pregnant or breastfeed, future pregnancies may potentially have a negative impact on your results. For this reason, Dr. Lee may recommend that you wait to undergo a breast lift until after you are done having children.
Your Customized Breast Lift Procedure
Your breast lift will be performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia. Depending on the severity of your sagging issues and your unique goals, Dr. Lee may recommend one of the following incision options:
- Periareolar incision
- “Lollipop” incision
- Wise pattern “anchor” incision
After the incision has been made, Dr. Lee will remove excess skin, tighten and reshape the breast tissue, and move the newly-shaped breast mound to a higher position on the chest wall. He may also reduce the size of the areola if necessary. Dr. Lee will then relocate the nipple to a more elevated, central position on the breast, keeping it attached to the underlying tissue to help preserve nipple sensation.
Breast Lift Recovery
It’s crucial that you follow Dr. Lee’s aftercare instructions diligently. This will ensure that you heal properly and achieve the best possible results.
You will need to wrap your breasts in an ACE bandage after surgery. The bandage should cover your breasts completely and fit somewhat tightly in order to provide the support you need. You can remove the ACE bandage to shower after the first three days, but make sure to rewrap your breasts immediately following your shower. Dr. Lee will monitor your recovery and let you know when it is safe to discontinue using the ACE bandage.
You may experience some mild bruising and swelling after surgery, but this will gradually subside as you heal. Dr. Lee will prescribe pain medication to help you manage any discomfort. Don’t drive while you are taking pain medication.
Keep the following items in mind during your recovery after a breast lift:
- You’ll need to sleep on your back for two weeks after breast lift surgery
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes for at least three weeks after surgery
- Avoid lifting your arms over your shoulders for three weeks, and avoid picking up objects heavier than two pounds during this time period
- Cold packs can be applied over the Ace bandage to reduce swelling, but avoid using heating pads on your breasts
- Avoid exposing your incision to the sun for a year since this can irritate your scars
- You should be able to return to work after about one week and routine activities can be resumed within three weeks; however, refrain from all strenuous activities, including heavy lifting, for at least one month
Contact our Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
Please contact Dr. Richard Lee using the form on this page or call 949-548-9312 today to schedule your complimentary breast lift consultation. We serve patients in Newport Beach, Irvine, Santa Ana and throughout Orange County, California.