If you are dissatisfied with the size or shape of your breasts, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Richard Lee can help you reach your aesthetic goals with breast augmentation surgery. He has helped many women throughout California achieve a shapelier figure and improved self-image with this safe and popular procedure.
To learn more about breast augmentation, please contact us today online or at 949-548-9312 to schedule a consultation. We welcome patients from throughout California, including Newport Beach, Irvine, Santa Ana, Orange County and the Greater Los Angeles area.
Learn more about breast augmentation below with topics that include:
- What Is Breast Augmentation?
- Benefits of Breast Augmentation
- Should I Consider Breast Augmentation?
- A Breast Augmentation Procedure Customized Just for You
- Types of Breast Implants
- Silicone Breast Implants
- Saline Breast Implants
- Breast Implant Incision Types
- Determining the Right Breast Implant Sizes
- Keller Funnel
- Breast Implant Exchange
- Why Choose Dr. Lee for Your Breast Augmentation?
- Schedule Your Breast Augmentation Consultation Today
Breast augmentation is a surgical breast enhancement procedure designed to increase the size, shape and fullness of the breasts with saline or silicone breast implants. Just like all procedures performed by Dr. Lee, breast augmentation is a completely customized surgical procedure that is tailored to your unique goals, aesthetic preferences and body frame.
To achieve the elegant, natural-looking results you deserve, Dr. Lee will evaluate several factors, including:
- The breast size you desire
- Your natural breast size and amount of natural breast tissue
- Your body frame and dimensions
- Whether you lead an active, athletic lifestyle
- Any current issues with breast asymmetry
During your initial consultation, Dr. Lee will evaluate these factors and work to understand what you hope to accomplish with breast enlargement surgery. He will listen to your goals, answer your questions and address your concerns. He will never rush you into a decision. Instead, he will serve as your trusted guide and mentor and explain all your breast enhancement options so that you can make an informed decision about your own treatment.
Breast augmentation is the most popular plastic surgery procedure performed in the United States and also boasts some of the highest patient satisfaction rates. Some of the many benefits offered by breast enlargement surgery include improved:
- Breast size
- Breast shape
- Breast volume
- Breast symmetry
- Breast projection
- Appearance of cleavage
- Appearance in clothing, lingerie and swimming suits
There are several reasons why women choose to undergo breast augmentation surgery. You may want to consider breast augmentation if you would like to accomplish one or more of the following objectives:
- Restore breast volume lost during pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight loss or aging
- Increase the size of your breasts
- Improve the shape of your breasts
- Improve breast symmetry
- Have closer cleavage
Generally speaking, you may be an ideal candidate for breast augmentation if you:
- Are in good physical health
- Do not smoke, or are willing to quit before surgery and during recovery
- Have not been diagnosed with cancer or a pre-cancer condition
- Do not have an autoimmune disorder
- Are near your ideal weight
- Have adequate breast tissue
- Have fully developed breasts
The FDA has certain implemented age-restrictions for breast implants. For saline implants, patients must be at least 18 years old. For silicone implants, patients must be 22 years old.
Just like our patients, no two breast augmentation procedures are identical. During your confidential consultation with Dr. Lee, he will listen closely to your concerns and goals, and take time to thoroughly explain all of your options. He will work closely with you to develop a treatment plan that matches your expectations, budget and lifestyle.
Some of the factors Dr. Lee will discuss with you when designing your individualized procedure include:
- Breast implant size
- Breast implant type
- Incision location
- Breast implant placement
Many patients choose to combine a breast lift with their breast enlargement surgery. Following your consultation with Dr. Lee and the completion of your treatment plan, you will be provided with a cost estimate for your customized procedure.
One of the biggest decisions you will make when preparing for your breast augmentation surgery is the type of breast implant used in your procedure. The two main types of breast implants are silicone and saline. Determining which is best for you will require the consideration of several factors. Each choice offers unique benefits, and Dr. Lee will work with you to help you decide which option best suits your goals, budget and lifestyle.
Dr. Lee is committed to be your guide and mentor through this decision-making process. He will work to understand your aesthetic goals and thoroughly explain all your options to help you make an informed decision about your own individualized procedure.
Silicone breast implants are essentially silicone shells filled with silicone gel. They are made of thick, strong and durable shells that are filled with cohesive, form-stable silicone gel material. These implants are also known as “cohesive gel”, “memory gel,” or “gummy bear” implants.
At Richard H. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery, we use Mentor MemoryGel breast implants. MemoryGel implants have been a proven and trusted implant choice for more than two decades.
Advantages of silicone breast implants include:
- More natural-looking
- Lower rate of wrinkling and rippling
- Maintain shape in case of rupture
- FDA-approved for women 22 and older
Saline implants comprise round silicone shells filled with sterile saline water. They typically require a smaller incision because they can be filled after the implant is placed. They are also usually less expensive than other implant options.
Although they are sometimes criticized for not looking or feeling as natural as their silicone counterparts, saline implants still offer numerous benefits, such as:
- In the event of rupture, the saline solution is harmlessly absorbed by the body
- Saline implant ruptures are immediately noticeable
- FDA-approved for women 18 and older
Dr. Lee will determine the best incision type for your procedure based on your aesthetic goals and unique anatomy. Typically, Dr. Lee prefers to use the following incision locations because they offer a direct approach to the breast pocket:
- Inframammary incision: This incision is discreetly made beneath the fold of the breast. It provides greater control when placing the implant and offers greater preservation of nipple sensitivity.
- Periareolar incision: This incision is discreetly made around the nipple, blending seamlessly with the areola. It results in a very precise formation of the breast implant pocket and is the most effective incision for correcting nipple inversion.
There are several factors to consider when determining your ideal breast implant size, including:
- Your level of activity and athletic lifestyle
- Your desired breast size after surgery
- Your current amount of natural breast tissue
- Your skin elasticity
- Your chest, weight and height dimensions
There is no “right” breast size; the ideal breast sizes for our patients vary from person to person. Dr. Lee encourages his patients to bring in pictures of breast size examples that you find appealing. Based on photographic examples and detailed discussions, Dr. Lee will place “sizers” (temporary implants) to ensure there are no surprises after your surgery.
Because it provides such an unparalleled level of control and safety, Dr. Lee uses the Keller Funnel in every breast augmentation surgery. By using a Keller Funnel to place breast implants, Dr. Lee does everything possible to keep your procedure completely sterile and reduce the risk of complications. Use of the Keller Funnel:
- Minimizes contact with the implant
- Reduces the risk of infection
- Requires a shorter incision
- Minimizes the chances of gel fracture or implant tearing
All man-made products can age with time and breast implants are no exception. In the 1970s and the 1980s, silicone implants were made of thin protective shells with liquid silicone gel inside. These implants were placed in an area just underneath the breast tissue (as opposed to under the pectoralis muscle) because patients recovered without much down-time and discomfort, and surgeons found that this approach was technically easier. As these silicone implants age, the shells can breakdown, releasing liquid silicone gel into the surrounding tissues. This causes visible and palpable distortions around the breast tissue.
In all women who undergo breast augmentation with silicone implants, the body forms a pocket around the implant called a capsule. This is a normal response by the body to the implants. As silicone implant shells begin to break down over time, the silicone content can still be largely contained in the capsule, separating the silicone from the surrounding breast tissue. However, the capsule can begin to harden and become thickened as a response to the direct contact to the silicone content of the implant. If the capsule begins to break down as the result of the hardening and brittleness, the silicone content then can infiltrate the surrounding tissues.
The good news is that there are options to exchange out ruptured silicone breast implants. Under general anesthesia, an incision can be made in an area under the fold of the breast, and the breast implant material and the capsule are removed together. The pocket is thoroughly cleaned out, and a new implant of same or different size can be placed to improve the look and feel of the breasts.
"This took me forever to do. I was so scared! But now my only regret was that I didn't do it sooner! My journey had a hiccup... I overdid it and had a bleed under the skin on my right breast. I'm right handed so this made sense, but it was a big wake up call. Take your doctor's advice and TAKE IT EASY after surgery! All is well know and I am so happy!"-RealSelf Review
When you finally decide to undergo breast augmentation surgery, your choice of surgeon will likely be the single most important decision you will make. When you choose Dr. Lee for your breast augmentation, you can expect:
- Board-certified plastic surgeon: Dr. Lee is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). This ensures you are receiving the highest levels of skill, precision and safety in the field of plastic surgery.
- Accredited Surgical facility: Dr. Lee performs surgeries in an on-site surgical center that is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). This ensures that your procedure will be performed in a facility that meets the highest standards of safety and comfort.
- Record of success: A picture says a thousand words. We invite you to visit our before and after gallery to see the elegant, natural-looking results Dr. Lee has produced for his patients.
- Individualized patient-care: You are never just a patient number to Dr. Lee. He will work closely with you to understand your unique goals and explain all of your options. Together you will design a customized treatment plan tailored just for you.
If you are unhappy with the size or shape of your breasts, please contact Richard H. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery today by completing the form on this page or calling 949-548-9312 to schedule a consultation. We proudly welcome patients from Newport Beach, Irvine, Santa Ana, Orange County and the Greater Los Angeles area.